Plans for 2013 - Six-Month Review

Time for a six-monthly check of how I'm doing on my New Year's Resolutions for 2013.  It's been a busy old year in terms of real life, with plenty going on at work but luckily I've managed to fit in plenty of hobby time.  Let's take a look at the list I wrote way back in January (feels like a week ago).



  • Game more.  Hmm, it's difficult to gauge this one because you could always play more games.  But I think I've done pretty well here.  Only one 40K game (vs. Coldsteel Dan) which was a thriller, but me and Headologist have also managed a mini campaign of Necromunda and Battlefleet Gothic, each one being a set of four or five games.  Not much to most people probably but that's pretty good for me!  This goal's going well.
  • Finish my WW2 armies.  Less good on this front, I've been slowly chipping away at odd members of the Waffen-SS platoon now but failed to make any concrete progress.  This is partly because of lots of new projects like the BFG and Necromunda.  Must try harder!
  • Doing Airfix kits.  Looking back this was a bit of a short-term goal, which I put in because I had about four kits to do, but nonetheless I managed to get a few done up and painted - U-96 and Evening Star, both really fun changes of pace.
  • Finishing the Chaos Renegades.  Failed on this one - no new models and not even a game played!  I'm struggling to muster the same enthusiasm for collecting a whole army as I had for my Palladians.  But I still fancy keeping the ones I've got, maybe using them for patrol clashes and things.
So how are other peoples' years going?  I know not everybody likes these New Years Resolution posts but I find them very handy (and enjoy reading other gamers' lists as well), since they let me go back to how things were and what I ahd planned.  Having it on the blog means it's harder to ignore than if it were a post it note.  I promised you chaps this stuff so it helps motivate me a bit.

I'm still really pleased in general - although I've failed in one or two goals it's not been through laziness, just working on alternate projects and I have things like the BFG ships and Necromunda gangs, which I never dreamed I'd have six months ago.  And I've pretty much rounded off the Imperial Guard army, which took two years.

So overall not bad.  Let me know what you're all up to as well, and until then ... happy painting!

Ed

Comments

  1. Get the Palladians on my game table and watch them all get mown down by the bloodcoats, of course.

    "Conan, what do you think the best things in life are ?"....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll see about that! Or maybe not, after what happened the last time I faced bloodcoats...

      Delete
  2. My review of my year so far is basically in the crapper but your review is some what better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I admit that I planned this post about two weeks ago so I've been rounding off a few projects, but that's what the list's there for, a bit of motivation.

      Delete
  3. On the subject of Bloodcoats/Vraksian Renegades, try this for inspiration:

    http://teninchtemplate.blogspot.co.uk/

    This guy's armies are really impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Task Force is ready for another bout - maybe over summer leave?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But of course... might be back next week, anyhow.

      Delete
  5. I think I'm doing all right on the hobby front. This year certainly hasn't been my busiest as far as gaming goes, but I've made lots of nifty things and accumulated some new heaps here and there. Just the other day I finally made a mold of that steam tank I'd been working on. Didn't turn out that well due to a buoyancy issue, but by god I got it done. Might see some face time on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Think this has so far been the most productive year I've ever experienced hobby-wise. I've painted far more Flames of War stuff in 7 months than anything else in literally years. Saying that, all this 15mm work has taken away from my other 28mm projects, and so they sit, unloved and unpainted until my enthusiasm returns, if indeed it ever does.

    Bravo on your end though, with busy schedules it's tricky to get as much hobby time as one would like for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks chaps, Chris I saw that steam tank! You really reignited the passion I had with the WISA stuff - I left a comment on the blog but seems to have got lost in the mists of the internet. Looks excellent.

      Dai, good to hear you're having a good year! I never got into 15mm really, not quite the same level of detail but I appreciate what a storm it's having on the hobby community. Looking forward to seeing more of your stuff too!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts