The Sentinel Construction Company

... or construction of the company sentinels, whichever you like.

Yes!  After a brief look at my next plan for Imperial Guard fluff, I've been back to modelling as I finish the building of my new-look, dynamic Sentinel Squadron!  As I said last time, they were really fun to make and I'm glad I did that post, as it stimulated some quite interesting discussion about open-topped, fully detailed Sentinels vs. enclosed, better tabletop Sentinels.  I have to admit, although the interior detail is cool, I'm very much a fan of the proper Steel Legion-style closed crew compartment.  Sixgun45LC also suggested having one with an open hatch as a balance, which I did using a leftover crewman from when I bought the Imperial Guard tank commanders blister to make a spare officer.  Let's have a look at some lovely piccys, shall we?

(By the way, pictures are back up to good quality as I located my camera.  You know the pockets on the back of the driver's seat that you're supposed to put road maps and things in?  It was there.  I didn't put it there; I didn't even know that pocket existed.  What a stupid place for a pocket, anyway!  How are you supposed to reach it from the driver's seat?  Anyway the camera was there.)

All three Sentinels, complete with stowage and scenic bases.  I was going to use some Secret Weapon bases, but
since I hadn't used any in the rest of the army I thought it would look out of place.

First Sentinel, poking out from behind a pillar.  You can see the extensive use of Liquid Green Stuff to hide the joins between the hatch and the cab which are otherwise very obvious.  Really useful for this. 

Originally intended to look like boxes for carrying missiles, these matchsticks look too
rough so now they're just poles of wood ... for ... something.
The base, made with slate, sand and etched chain-link fence from the 40K basing kit.  This was still taken while the sand's PVA was still wet, so it 'flattens' a bit more when it dries.

Next one.  Think this is the one from the last update.  I decided to keep all the weapons the same in the end, since rocket launchers are versatile enough weapons anyway.
You can see (along with the half-dried glue) the climbing-over-the-wall effect.

My attempts at Green Stuff straps - they look okay from a distance.
The wire is the stuff you get off posh wine bottles.

My favourite one - including the commander popping out the hatch for a
look around.  Credit to Sixgun45LC for that idea!

Oh, the stowage is from a very old 1:56 kit - I unfortunately don't remember the name. 

Another shot of the scenic base.  Whoops - forgot to clean that leg!

A lovely model - glad I found a place to use him in a conversion!
And there we have it.  Quite pleased with them - although they were very fiddly to do, so I'll be waiting a bit before I get my next set to make a start on a reconnaissance company!  Anyway, that's yer lot for today folks!  Back to work now - hopefully the first bits of the fluff should come out this week, I've got more WW2 stuff in the next few weeks and also of course, the painting!  Thanks for reading.

The Colonel

Comments

  1. Very cool! The bases are excellent, and all the little extras you've added to the Sentinels are top notch!

    Can't wait to see 'em painted up - great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how these came out. Lots of gear on the outside to give them that lived-in look. Glad to see that the open roof hatch idea worked out. I also like that you did one with the front hatches open. I thought having that option was a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Better than I imagined! Very nice use of the Liquid GS too. Smooth.

    Your basing is also really well done and makes all three look like mini dioramas.

    Paint!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can imagine the hiss clank of their hydraulic legs as they crush the enemies of the Imperium under foot. Excellent basing and the gear all over the sentinels adds a lot of character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks all for the kind feedback!

      @Mordian7th: Thanks I really wanted to go for that semi-rouge look, operating behind enemy lines. I'm going to try and capture the old 3rd Ed 'maverick' fluff feel which seems to have faded out.

      @Sixgun45LC: Well thanks for the idea! It was quite hard to do actually, particularly getting the model to sit naturally, so it looked like he was leaning. And I do like the hatches open as well - again a bit of a struggle to get them to fit as the different windows aren't interchangable.

      @Dai: Yeah I find I still prefer normal GS on infantry models, but it's invaluable on vehicles for filling those gaps. Painting has started :)

      @Chris: Very atmospheric! I love those hydraulic legs, they're one of the coolest parts of the model.

      Delete
  5. Really liking the way you built these models and the bases are gonna be awesome!

    I love sentinals :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent stuff! I have some hydraulic claws you could use for an "Aliens" style forklift / loader....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks fellas!

      @Col Young: Thanks, I always try and use my bases to unify the army by building them to look similar throughout the army.

      @Headologist: Ooooh, claws! Like those old Sentinel Powerlifters? Sounds good!

      Delete
    2. That's the one, the name makes me think of a straining Russian Olympian though :P

      Delete
  7. Just wanted to say - looking cool! (and I'll try not to just repeat what everyone else said) You should be pleased with these boys.
    That is a heap of wire, where did you get it all? Is it off several wine bottles or did you source it out from elsewhere?
    Funnily enough I recognise the stowage kit - I have a box of them open on my desk right now. I'm adding junk to a few tanks. They look like the Tamiya 1/48 kit to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a sort of net stuff that covers the bottle, and one bottle's worth will make about five of the bundles you see there. There's a photo on one of my old WW2 posts: http://palladian-guard.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/making-vehicle-stowage-from-nothing.html?m=0. Good shout with identifying the kit - think you're right! I can get more now!

      Delete
    2. Arrha! I missed that photo of the wine bottle the first time! ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts