Russian Navy Gatling Gun


Hola, friend!  As promised, today sees another update in the War In South America series, as the Russian contingent beefs up its firepower.  Last week, we saw some of their experimental steam-powered Landships, and today it's time for the (slightly more realistic) addition of a Gatling Gun and crew.

These models are in actual fact Royal Navy + Gatling gun from Perry Miniatures, for £8.50 (that's around $12-13 for US/Canadian/Australian Dollars, or 3,100 Hungarian Forints).  The original kit also comes with a pith-helmeted officer (who's been reassigned to my infantry company).



The figures, as you'd expect from Perry Miniatures, are of a superb quality.  They required the normal cleaning up, and otherwise very detailed and very well-cast.

I wasn't terribly fussed about the use on RN figures for Russians, since this is alternate history after all and anyway, naval uniforms of the period were all similar compared with the differences in army uniforms, so it doesn't matter.  They're painted up with GW colours, the principle ones being a base colour of Adeptus Battlegrey, followed by a Badab Black wash and then Shadow Grey highlights.

Now, this gun is ready to take up its place in the ranks of the Russian Brigade.  The Tsar is reluctant to send too many troops abroad with revolutionary fervour just beginning to stir deep in the peasants, so the use of all this firepower and technology compensates for that, giving the Russians a smug superiority.  They might well paraphrase  Hilaire Belloc in saying of their foes,

Whatever happens, we have got
The [Gatling] Gun, and they have not!

The development of machine guns during this period of (real) history, is incidentally a great interest of mine and anyone who wants to know the full story behind this quote would be well advised to get hold of a copy of John Ellis' The Social History of the Machine Gun.


That's all for today, folks!  I've finally finished my latest collaborative project with Lord Gordon for 40K, so expect an update on that in the next couple of days.  Until then, happy gaming and see you all next time!

Comments

  1. Grat paint job on some lovely minis. Been looking through the Perry Bros line for a while now with an idea to convert some Napoleonics into an IG squad. One of these days I'll actually follow through and do it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dai. I first tried out their stuff (excepting the GW sculpts, of course) when I got the plastic ACW minis which were excellent. That sounds like a really good idea, I can't wait to see that!

      Delete
  2. These guys are great, I have to get back on track with my WiSA, I had a bit of a setback when my father became interested in what I was doing and took back the vast majority of the infantry that I had been working with. Now I have a lowly 20 or so 1/72 scale infantry but I should really finish those and my Tejon pattern indomitable. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. Looking forward to seeing more of your stuff - those creations (especially El Gigante) are amazing! Will do.

      Delete
  3. Great job on these! So many Perry minis, so little time... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perrys really are the business aren't they? Thanks for your thoughts :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts