Praetorian Delihan Army - 99 Psyonic Detachment


Afternoon everybody!  Today sees the next update in the ongoing exchange project between myself and Lord Gordon.  This basically involves painting up some of our models in each others' colours, the aim being to have liaison or exchange officers.  The first project, Lieutenant Marcus Rhyn, was intended to be a background thing that I'd build up over the weeks.  However, it looks like he might be cutting his teeth earlier than planned!


After the death of Lieutenant Creticus, my previous platoon commander, I'm short on reinforcements (in other words, I've not converted any new Palladian officers to take his place), so he's going to be acting First Lieutenant and commander of First Platoon until I can get a permanent replacement.  Should make an interesting backstory ...


Anyway, the last project was such a success that we decided to work on Astropaths as well.  This was Lord Gordon's suggestion - I've never even thought of Astros/Psykers before.  I decided to expand it a bit to include Psykers and a Primaris Psyker too.  Being a historicals fan, I liked the 'pure' Guard armies of infantry, tanks and artillery.  However, after falling in love with the new Ratlings, I bought a squad and tried them out in battle.  Now I'm fully converted on abhumans and psykers (no pun intended), and when I saw some of the destructive powers in the new Sixth Edition rules, that clinched it.
Anyway - on to the models!  I decided to use the vanilla GW Sanctioned Psykers.  I really really like the look of these models, and I thought I'd get them quickly, before they go over to FineCast and become unusable.

My big problem with these models is the similarity between the three.  Individually, they're all works of art, but together they look a little bit boring.  I didn't fancy converting them because they look so cool!  I can't decide which one I like the best.

But for the Master Astropath (I call him the Mastropath) I had a special treat.  My good friend Headologist gave me a treat in the form of an old Necromunda Psyker model, which I stripped and repainted. (As an aside, I found nail varnish remover and a 24hr soak to be the best way of stripping the paint, followed by a quick toothbrushing).

The banner was a bit wobbly but that wasn't a problem.  I wanted to get rid of it because it looked absolutely ridiculous, just turn it into a sort of staff.

Painting was a bit hard.  Under the exchange officer program, they have prescribed Praetorian Delihan Army uniform colours, but because these fellows are wearing cloaks, I decided just to pick similar colours.  My favourite part of all the models is definitely the faces.  I used the same Kanrak Stone/Drucci Violet/Pallid White Flesh (or whatever their names are) combo that I used on my Chaos Renegades, to give them a pallid, deathly look which I really like.

What I haven't done is thought about how they're going to be integrated into the army, both on the table and more importantly fluff-wise.  I've decided to call them '99 Psyonic Detatchment' - and I'll probably just throw them in at the deep end against Headologist's Space Marines to see what happens.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed these and look forward to the next update soon!  All the best, and happy gaming!



His vision clouded by the destructive Binding Ritual,
the Primaris Psyker surveys the battlefield from his
vantage point, the collective efforts of 99 Psyonic
Detachment mentally illuminating the area

Comments

  1. Very very good looking minis. Love the scheme too, fits in well with the rest of your army. Hope you can get that squad up to 10 men!

    After my Beastmen, I think I might start some on my own Ratlings. Those models are packed with fun detail and character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. Yeah, in game terms it would be so much better to have ten - but they all look a bit 'samey' as it is, so not sure how ten would look. Might have to convert some more. Those Ratlings I did were some of the most fun I've done in a long time.

      Delete
  2. Looking good! I'm basically planning on doing the same thing. I'm using the Necromunda model for my Primus Psyker (who is on the painting table right now), but I haven't bought the other figs yet. I agree there has to be a bit of converting to make the squad of 10 look better.

    Psykers are a big part of the Mordians fluff so I want to get some in there eventually. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent stuff, glad to see the psyker put to good use and the name fits nicely too :D half looking forward to and half dreading seeing them on the table

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very, very, very cool stuff !!
    But now, i have no colours for my own astrophat, damn ;-)
    Any ideas ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Der Feldmarschall: Thanks a lot, yes I do like to sneak in some models that people see and think 'now where on earth did that one come from?' which the Primaris Psyker does amply. Also, the GW one looks as if it's a character from Last of the Summer Wine on a ramble in the hills.

    @Headologist: It is a very good name, is it not :) Don't worry, they work based on the number in a squad, as Dai hinted at, so I'm sure I won't be able to do anything apart from upset tables and pull doves out of hats with them.

    @Lord Gordon: Thanks, my good fellow. Are you doing them as Palladians? They'd either wear the dark green with white trim, or even just civilian clothes I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great models and superior painting as well. I just ran through your old posts as well and I really love the Mordians. Did you really write a book about them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot - really pleased with how the whole Mordian project is coming together. Did indeed, I guess you've already seen its post (http://palladian-guard.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/background-book-arrived.html) ... Book II is in the works!

      Delete
    2. This book is amazing ! What does it cost ? How much ?
      I wanna right an book about the Dragoon Guards too, in german, but i have no idea, were i can do it.

      Delete
    3. Well mine was written over many years, it was just collecting up the scraps and typing them up. The binding was done by an online company, but I could e-mail you the PDF if you wanted it?

      Delete
    4. Oh, yes ! Please!
      I love this details of an fluff very, very much !
      andreas.koetting@web.de please!!

      Delete
  7. awesome paint! I find that my psykers offer a fantastic versitile unit for the points.

    Incidentally I would also be interested in your book..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having been privileged to have seen it unfold over the years I can heartily recommend the Palladian book. You'll need a stiff brandy to counteract the incredible level of detail within the pages though... I mean that in a good way :p

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cheers you two; thanks for the comments. After spending all this time painting I haven't really thought about how they'll play on the field but I'm looking forward to trying them now.

    Hmmm, seems like there's a bit of interest in the book, I might do a more detailed post next week and make it available. Stay tuned...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool, man! Love the sickly flesh color, looks fantastic - Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it; I thought they were a bit boring; that was a flash of inspiration and I'm glad it worked out. Incidentally anyone interested in the background book should check out the latest post...

      Delete
  11. BTW that officer exchange idea is pure gold. I love this blogging community. Brilliant work on these guys too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot! If you ever want an exchange officer then just let me know...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts